French Onion Soup
FRENCH ONION SOUP
Packed with France's best exports - Cheese wine brandy,, garlic, butter and?
Ingredients for french onion soup
• 6 onions.
• 4 garlic cloves.
• 20g/¾oz butter.
• 4 glasses cheap red glasses.
• 1 litre(13/4pints of beef stockor 2 beef stock cubes dissolved in very hot water.
• 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
• 8 thick slices of bread or a thin baget sliced thin.
• 284g/10oz Gruyère, grated.
• 2 shots of cheap cooking brandy (optional but nicer).
• salt and fresh ground pepper.
• 10g/½oz flat leaf parsley.
• 10 leaves of fresh Basel leaves.
Preparation method for French Onion Soup
1. Peel and thinly slice the onions and garlic.
2. Then using the butter sauté the onions in a large pan for 15-20 minutes, until brown.
Stir wellscraping any residue from the base of the pan before adding the red wine stirring gently.
3. Add the, stock, vinegar and brandy.
4. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Toast the bread and cut into small squares top with the grated cheese and place under the grill until the cheese is melted.
6. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
7. Keeping the soup hot in the pan, top with the sliced bread and sprinkle a little more cheese.
On the bread and soup before serving,the soup.
8. Scatter with fresh chopped parsley and serve from the pan at the table.