Yellow Squash Recipes
Like most of Yellow Squash Recipes this easy squash casserole is bursting with taste and flavor.
Both summer and winter squashes are generally considered as vegetables, even though pumpkin may be used for sweet dishes. Though considered a vegetable in cooking, botanically speaking, squash is a fruit. Squash can be served fresh (in salads) but the most popular dishes are cooked (squash stuffed with meat, fried squash, baked squash casserole)..
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yellow squash ingredients.
2 tbsp olive oil.
1 onion , sliced.
2 garlic cloves, crushed.
1 tsp cumin seeds.
1 tbsp paprika.
225g sweet potatoes , cubed small.
1 red pepper , minus seeds and chopped.
1 buttersquash (about 550g/1lb 4oz), peeled and chopped small.
400g can chopped tomatoes.
200ml red wine.
300ml vegetable stock ( a stock cube is fine).
75g Cracked wheat sometime known as bulgar wheat.
Yellow squash recipes Directions.
1. large pan, heat the olive oil, then cook onion and garlic for 5-7 mins until the onion is softened.
2. Add the cumin seeds and paprika, then cook for a further 2 mins.
3. Stir in the sweet potato, red pepper and butter nut squash and toss with the onion and spices for 2 mins.
4. Pour in the tomatoes, red wine and vegetable stock, season, then simmer gently for 15 mins.
5. Stir in the bulghar wheat, cover with a lid, then simmer for 15 mins more until the vegetables are tender, the bulghar wheat is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
6. Serve in bowls topped with a spoonful of Greek-style yoghurt and some grated vegetarian cheddar.
4 spoonfuls Greek yogurt and a little grated Mature Cheddar cheese.