Best Cream soup has got to be wild mushroom soup.
This rich and filling Vegetarian dish is the perfect way to use up the last of the season cheap mushrooms.
Ingredients for this Wild Mushroom Cream Soup.
Difficulty The Best Cream Soup rating
Preparation for this Best Cream Soup.
Prep time 30 minutes.
Cooking time 40 minutes.
1. Bring a kettle to the boil, then pour the water over the dried mushrooms just to cover.
2. Heat half the butter in a saucepan, then gently sizzle the onion, garlic and thyme for 5 minutes until softened and starting to brown.
3. Drain the mushrooms reserving the juice, then add to the onion with the mixed wild mushrooms.
4. Leave to cook for 5 minutes until they go limp. Then pour over the stock and the reserved juices, bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Stir in crème fraîche, then simmer for a few minutes more. 6. 7. Blitz the soup with a hand blender or liquidizer, pass through a fine sieve, then set aside.
8. Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan, fry the bread cubes until golden, then drain on kitchen paper.
9. 10. To serve, heat the soup and whiz to froth up with a hand blender, or just mix in if you like.
11. Ladle the soup into bowls, scatter over the croutons and chives and drizzle with truffle oil.
This is great with some hot buttered toast a wonderful unbeatable tasty soup you can eat anytime.
Why not try?
Mixed wild mushrooms are delicious seasoned and fried in olive oil or butter, then piled onto buttered toast and topped with a poached egg.