Crispy Cauliflower Cheese and Spinach Bake
This is about as good as you can make for a great but easy Cauliflower Cheese recipe cooking until it has that great crispy coating on the top makes this one of the best,and it is such an easy tasty Moorish meal, you always want seconds, perfect on a cold winter day.
I make mine in a large dish so we can help ourselves for more, the crispy baked cheese topping is an appetizing golden brown, with plenty of runny cheesy sauce is just so delicious and is a firm regular family favorite.
I usually make sufficient for two meals then freeze one for later, it makes good economic sense these days and it saves money and time.
INGREDIENTS for Crispy Cauliflower Cheese.
• 1 large Cauliflower, divided into florets.
• 3 tbsp Butter
. 1 pack 250g spinach leaves
For the cheese sauce
1 clove of garlic
• 1 Bay leaves
• 1 medium Onion
• 600ml Milk
• 25g Butter
• 25g plain flour
• 200ml creme fraiche
• 1 tsp Wholegrain mustard
• 250g mature Cheddar cheese
• 1 pinch fresh ground pepper black pepper
• 1 pinch Nutmeg, freshly grated
COOKING METHOD for Crispy Cauliflower Cheese
1. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and lightly cook the cauliflower florets and take out and put aside.
2.Boil the spinach lightly drain of excess liquid then put aside.
3. To make the sauce, first cut and peel the onion, cut almost through into 4 segments stick/ stud the clove through the bay leaf and into the onion centre and place in a saucepan with the milk.
4. Warm the milk slowly, this will allow the flavours to infuse into the milk.
5. In a separate saucepan, melt the butter, and stir in the flour.
6. Cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
7. Add the simmering milk, slowly ladle in continuing to stir, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
8.Let it bubble gently for 5-6 minutes.
9. Remove the onion and add the creme fraiche.
10 Place in an oven ready dish the separated florets of cauliflower,lay the spinach on the top.
11. Stir in the mustard and 200g of the grated cheese and spoon over the spinach.
12 Place in preheated oven on high for 3/4 mins until the cheese is crispy and golden brown and serve
11 Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a little nutmeg.