Hash Brown Potato Recipe
Preparation Time 15 minutes.
Cooking Time 15 minutes.
Hash brown potato recipe makes 6 portions
Makes 6 hash browns.
Mostly as a substantial breakfast,so easy and quick to make,our hash brown potatoes recipes are not only deliciously tasty but also light and crispy, this shredded crunchy potato dish can accompany many extras to make the most fulfilling meal you can make in minutes any time of the day of night.
Ingredients for this hash brown potato recipe.
• 3 medium (about 1.2kg) roasting potatoes peeled.
• 1 tbsp. plain flour.
• 1 egg, lightly whisked.
• Pinch (generous)of salt.(potatoes are normally very bland but it is better to add more salt to your taste.)
• Fresh ground black pepper,(see above).
• vegetable oil,for frying.
1 It is important to choose the healthiest cooking oil option.
2 Olive oil would be the natural choice but Not for frying as it has a low smoke point which is only about 190C/375F.
3 The "ideal" cooking oil should contain higher amount of the healthier monounsaturated (contains good cholesterol ) and polyunsaturated fats (omega3), and with minimal or no saturated fats and trans fats.
4 The following oils are low in saturated fats and trans fats. Choose, sunflower oil, soy oil or canola oil if you wish to fry foods as these oils have higher smoke point.
Directions for this hash brown potato recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 120°C. Line a baking tray with paper towel.
2. Coarsely grate the potatoes onto a tea towel lining a colander, twist the ends of the tea towel together to squeeze out as much potatoes liquid as possible.
3. Transfer the grated to the bowl then the whisked egg and mix together before adding salt and pepper potatoes to a bowl.
4. Stir until the contents are combined, then divide into six portions.
5. Add enough oil to a large frying pan to reach a depth(no more) of 2cm,try to use just enough to cover when frying.
6. Heat the frying pan190°C over medium-high heat (To test when oil is ready take a small 1” cube of bread and fry it will turn golden brown in 15 seconds).
Gently shape and flatten each divided portion of potato mixture to form rough shaped discs of about 8cm.
7. Shallow-fry for about 3 minutes or until golden underneath.
8. Turn and shallow-fry until crisp usually 2minutes depending on the thickness of the shape.
9. Gently using a fish lifter or wide spatula, lift and transfer each hash brown onto a layer of absorbent kitchen roll on prepared warmed tray interleave kitchen roll between each has brown and place in preheated oven to keep hot and absorb any surplus oil.
10. Repeat this frying process with the remaining potato shapes adding more oil if required until all are completed.
11. Season hash browns as required and serve.
Hash browns are normally served for breakfast with bacon and eggs, and for a brunch, but they can be used an any time meal, accompanied with beans black puddings or sausages.
Whatever the time of day or night they provide for a substantial and sustaining meal that will keep your energy level up for a longer period of time.
This easy hash brown potato recipe can be used to be part of a larger meal accompanying many extras even fruit like sliced apple or oranges these sharper flavours help balance and freshen the taste.
This dish has to be in your menu list because it is so adaptable to introduce into many other meals as an extra tasty filler.