Leftover Turkey Recipe
Leftover Turkey Recipe.
This based on the old Italian hunters Turkey recipe for using most any meat left over the most popular was chicken cacciatore this updated version adds an extra twist by adding Cheddar with the turkey,to provide that depth of flavour to the more mild tastes of mozzarella that melts easier to give the melted golden quality.
In these days of Waste not Want Not,using left over turkey recipes to make mouth watering appetizing meals is a must,this was an Italian based cacciatore recipe this baked cheese and tomato dish is ideal, easy and very tasty meal using up some of your left over turkey meat that will become a firm family favorite.
Preparation and cooking times for this Leftover Turkey Recipe.
Prep 8 to 12 minutes
Cooked just under the hour.
Ingredients for this turkey left over dish.
2 med onions , chopped fine.
2 garlic cloves crushed.
3 tbsp olive oil.
2 tsp dried mixed herbs.
3 x cans chopped Italian plum tomatoes.
1/2 tbsp sugar.
2 tspns of balsamic vinegar.
about 500g leftover turkey,cut into small chunks.
100gms of shredded mature cheddar cheese.
1 x 125g balls mozzarella.
2 good handfuls fresh breadcrumbs.
1 tspn of fresh ground black pepper.
Directions for this turkey leftover recipe.
1. Fry the onion and garlic in the oil until just golden brown.
2. Into the frying pan add the chopped tomatoes with the sugar,sprinkle over the cheddar cheese and stir in the balsamic of vinegar add the pepper and herbs with a little salt for seasoning stir to combine the let the mixture blend for 5 mins.
3. Add a lid to the frying pan then simmer for 20 mins stirring the mixture as it cooks and thickens.
4. Add in the turkey and then transfer the contents to a large baking dish.
5. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
6. Tear the mozzarella into small chunks and scatter evenly over the dish, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs with a couple more twists of black pepper.
7. Bake for 20 mins until the top is bubbling and golden.
8. Best eaten with freshly boiled pasta with some butter or olive oil mixed in with the pasta.