Oxtail the Tastiest Slow Cooked Beef Delight
3lbs oxtail, jointed into 2inch pieces.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Flour for dusting.
Olive oil for frying.
1 large onion, peeled and chopped.
2 carrots, chopped.
3 stalks celery, chopped.
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped fine.
1 small bunch parsley, chopped.
2 cups red wine.
1 cup of chopped mushrooms.
1 400gram tin of chopped tomatoes.
1 tsp of mixed herbs.
3 large cups of water.
Salt and fresh ground black pepper.
2 pieces of dark chocolate (optional) but it really adds flavour.
Slow Cooking Method
• • • Season the oxtail with salt and pepper and then dust with flour.
• • Heat a large frying pan and add olive oil just to cover the base.
• • Add the meat into the pan and fry on a high heat each side for 2 minutes each side to brown and seal in the juices.
• • Then add a little more olive oil to the frying pan and the onions, carrots,mushroom sand celery.
• Continue to fry over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring continuously, so as not to burn.
• • . Remove and cover the frying pan and contents then set on one side.
• • Add the wine and water into your slow cooker.
• • Then add all the contents, the meat vegetables etc from the frying pan into the slow cooker.
• Add in the tomatoes then the mixed herbs.
• Lastly place the 2 pieces of dark chocolate into your slow cooker.
• • Cook on a low heat for 5 hours
• It is best to leave this dish 24 hours then carefully spoon out the excess fat which should have set if you have put it into your fridge after it has cooled.
Once you have removed the excess fat you can then heat up you dish.and sprinkle on the fresh chopped parsley.
Serve piping hot with you chosen vegetables.
• • Mashed potatoes with. Steamed or boiled Broccoli and spinach.
• Or with Crusty bread is great.
• • . Serves 4 persons