Pork roast Recipe
Pork Roast Recipe
• 2kg/4½lb loin of pork, boned and rolled, with skin attached,and scored many times times.
• vegetable oil.
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
• 3 large onions chopped fine.
• 1 tbsp plain flour.
• 1-2 tsp coarse grain mustard.
• 250ml/8fl oz cider.
• 250ml/8fl oz vegetable stock.
• 50-75ml/2-3fl oz Creme Frais (optional).
Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
1. When you're ready to cook the pork, rub a little oil over the skin and then rub in a generous amount of sea salt on top of the skin and into the deep score lines.
2. Cut the onions in half and sit in a roasting tray cut-side up with a trickle of oil. Place the pork on top and cook for 20 minutes before reducing the heat to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and cooking for a further 1 hour 20 minutes.
There is no need to baste the pork during cooking as the skin does the job for you, keeping the meat moist as it becomes crisp.
3. When the pork is cooked, remove from the tray and sit on a plate in a warm place to rest.
Remove the onions from the tray and keep warm with the pork, then pour out any excess fat.
Put the tray over a medium heat and stir the flour vigorously into the meat juices.
Slowly add the mustard, cider and vegetable stock and cook for about 3-4 minutes until thickened slightly.
Finally add the cream, if using, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Remove the crackling from the pork and break into pieces.
Thickly slice the pork and serve with the onions, gravy and Apple, Pear and Sage Sauce..