Quality ingredients are the basis of making a simple meal into a great meal,this easy great tasting recipe is no exception using a natural ground cornflour with its course texture will ( not essential) but it can add that extra dimension which can make a difference in taste and flavor.
Cornmeal is a meal (coarse flour) but not as fine as wheat flour, the finely ground cornmeal is also referred to as cornflour.
Whole-grain or stone-ground cornmeal is crushed between millstones leaving a coarser texture still with the nutrient-packed germ still attached in this natural processed flour. Cornmeal can also come in white and yellow mainly depending on the colour of the corn. Self-rising cornmeal is a white or yellow cornmeal with leavening agents and salt added are available at good stores.
Directions for this fried green tomato recipe.
1. Combine egg and buttermilk;cover and set aside.
2. Mix together completely 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.
3. Dip and cover the tomato slices in remaining flour to coat.
4. Dip to coat in the egg mixture, and dredge or sprinkle cornmeal mixture to coat completely.
5. Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet/heavy frying pan; heat to 375°.
6. Drop tomatoes, individually carefully, into hot olive oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
7. Drain away excess oil on paper towels or a rack.
8. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with a little salt and a twist of ground pepper.
9. Warm the chibbata bread gently in the oven to warm through.
10. Serve the tomatoes on each warm bread roll garnish with the herb leaves and drizzle with some balsamic vinaigrette.
11. Enjoy this tasty healthy meal.
Like this recipe? Feel free to share it
If you like this recipe feel free to share it via any of the following social media links. Please also try some of our other great recipes from the sidebar menu.