Sea Food Pie Made with differant Fish and shellfish
Sea food Pie Recipe for everyone.
Preparation time: 30 Minutes.
There are many variations to the basic fish pie recipe, some use white fish others smoked fish but my personal favorite uses white fish with some added shellfish.
I try to avoid using both smoked and white fish together in your fish pie.
This fish pie recipe takes about half an hour to prepare and under an hour to cook.
250g fresh piece of cod or haddock; boned skinned,(white fish is excellent, but you can use smoked fish).
250g mixed prepared shellfish, using mussels, prawns,with some scallops if you can afford them.
I think that is a luxury for a simple sea food pie.
1 chopped leek.
1 chopped carrot.
A pinch or two of saffron (depending on your taste).
1 tbs of flour.
50g of butter.
1 pint of milk.
100g medium cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste.
Fish Pie cooking time: 1 Hour.
- Cut the peeled potatoes into quarters put into a pan with salt water, when they start to boil reduce to a simmer.
- Heat the milk in a wide large frying pan. sprinkle in the saffron and stir so that it starts to mix.
- Keep the milk simmering, add the fish and cook for about fifteen minutes (until the fish is cooked through).
- Remove the fish and keep the milk liquid, which should have turned a delicate yellow in colour.
- Flake the fish into the bottom of an oven-proof dish, carefully removing any remaining bones.
- Saute the chopped leek and carrot in a half the butter,and then add to the fish,and all the shellfish.
- Melt the remaining butter, add the flour and stir to form a slightly thicker mixture.
- Cook gently for 15/20 seconds and then add the remainder of the yellow milk liquor, slowly, while continuing to stir.
- This will form the sauce for the pie.
- Pour the sauce over the fish,shellfish carrot and leeks.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon sparingly all over the fish.
- Take the boiled potatoes and mash them add the remaining butter, spread over the fish, and grate the cheddar cheese.
- Add a little salt and pepper.
- Spread the grated cheese all over the mashed potato.
- Place in the oven and cook for thirty five minutes in the preheated oven to 190° C.
- take it out of the oven when the cheese has melted and is a deep golden brown.
- Serve with a green salad in a separate side dish with a salad oil/ sauce or with hot garden peas around your fish pie.
This delicious dish can be decorated with some fresh herbs on the top or even some thin sliced tomatoes around the plate and herbs on top.
How many calories are in 4 oz of baked salmon?
There are 157 calories in 4 ounces of boneless (yield after cooking) Baked or Broiled Salmon. Calorie breakdown: 41% fat, 1% carbs, 58% protein.
Is baked salmon healthy?
Rich in heart-healthy omega-3s, salmon is a low-calorie protein source that’s also low in saturated fat. The American Heart Association recommends eating at least two 3.5-ounce servings of fatty fish like salmon every week.
Like this recipe? Feel free to share it
If you like this recipe feel free to share it via any of the following social media links. Please also try some of our other great recipes from the sidebar menu.